Polyoxymethylene (more commonly referred to simply as “POM”) has great resistance to solvents, oils, weak acids and weak bases, and other everyday chemicals. It also has a high rigidity (hardness), high resistance to creep and stress relaxation, excellent wear resistance, and self-lubrication.
Recently POM has become a very popular material across several industries, and we are now seeing it used more and more often in machining.
Weimi Hardware Technology has been engaged in the field of machining for more than ten years and has produced many POM products. We have rich experience in this industry, we can guarantee that we will meet your requirements. The products shown below are used in the electronics industry. The products are very thin-walled and feature fine detail which required us to use milling machine technology to produce them. Despite the difficulties in manufacturing such pieces, our expert team are proud to produce parts that are completely free from any signs of deformation and they always meet the client’s specification and designs without alteration.
When using POM, it is extremely important to ensure that the products are not misshaped – while the material is very easy to cut, it is not easy to control, meaning designs can be susceptible to some level of deformation that may occur during the manufacturing process.
Please see below the most common causes of POM product deformation:
- Clamping deformation: POM might get deformed from being clamped as, unlike e.g. stainless steel, it is softer than the clamp. After machining, the product will return to its original state and bounce back into shape – this can also cause deformation as the final product may change shape post-production.
- Thermal deformation: POM is a material that is very sensitive to heat and, if exposed to a temperature that is very high, can cause the material to change shape, consistency, and even colour.
- Elastic deformation: although POM is highly durable, it is very elastic and this property makes the material difficult to control during the manufacturing process. Although the product might have elastic deformation after cutting, a certain amount of deformation will recover after the tools release the product and it bounces back into shape.
How do Weimi process products and parts made from POM?
- We take every care to choose the right material for the job – there are different types of POM and as some are better suited to specific applications we are always happy to guide our clients and ensure they’re making an informed choice.
- Multiple cutting processes: we will use as many steps and operations as possible to ensure the consistency of the workpiece size, to effectively control the deformation caused by clamping, heat, and the material’s natural elasticity
- We use high speed steel for all processing when creating POM products. It is pure steel commonly known as high-speed tool steel. We do not use alloy tools as it generates more heat and it’s not as sharp as a high-speed steel tool.
- Weimi’s professionally trained operators can regulate each step of the production process. Once the parts are complete, the operators will use callipers to inspect each individual product and ensure it is free from defects and faults. Our quality control team conduct regular inspections on products to ensure that all product dimensions meet our clients’ requirements and specifications to provide 100% satisfaction.
Weimi also produces many different types of plastic products such as PC, Nylon, PEEK, ABS, PP, PET, PVC, and more.
- PP: Polypropylene plastic is a non-toxic material. It can be immersed in boiling water at 100 °C without deformation and damages. Common organic solvents such as acid and alkali have almost no effect on it, which is why it’s commonly used for making utensils or in the packaging industry.
- ABS: Plastic made from acrylonitrile, butadiene, and styrene. It can have a very striking color as well as being heat-resistant, strong, and it can even be plated with chrome, nickel and other metal films. It is commonly used to make keys, buttons, TV casings, umbrella handles, etc.
- PC: The structure of PC material leads to its main advantages and properties such as fatigue resistance, weather resistance, high transparency, heat resistance and strength. That makes it play an important role in various industrial fields. The three main industry fields of PC are as the following: glass assembly industry, automobile, and electronics industry.
- PEEK (Polyether ether ketone): special engineering plastic with excellent performance. It has lots of significant advantages such as a high temperature resistance of 260 degrees, and excellent mechanical properties. We have produced a series of electronic cigarette machined parts for our clients using PEEK – please see these below:
We also produce many other plastic products such as 3D printers, machinery, automotive parts, and much more. Get in touch to find out more and get a quote for your business.